For the 1st time this year we have a garden full of art open for visitors to see.
The Whimsical Garden/ Home was originally built for Andrew McLeod, son of Isaac and Janet McLeod who arrived in Helensville in 1862. It had 2 owners before it was purchased as a convent for the teaching of nuns of the St Dominic School in 1932. Many local children went to the convent for music lessons and a grotto in the garden contained a shrine for the Virgin Mary.
The home and garden are now owned by Nick and Tracey Roberts and their 2 children Imogen and Bryony. It is a special place full of history. Music and religious icons are still an important theme, with piano steps and a " confessional" within the garden. It is full of other interesting and whimsical garden features that reflect the eclectic artistic interests of the family, from mosaics to flowers made from plates to a full size 'small space' birdcage.